1-2 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
1-2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
12 ounces of bacon, cut in pieces, cook until crispy. Reserve bacon fat.
1 red bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, diced
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb boneless beef chuck, cut into cubes
1 lb ground beef
3 tablespoons dark chili powder
1.5 cayenne pepper (add more if you want it spicier)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons granulated onion
2 teaspoons paprika
2.5 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 can fire roasted tomatoes and chiles
1 tube of tomato paste (use the whole tube)
12 ounces beer (Modelo was used in this year’s chili)
½ cup beef broth (add more if you want it soupier)
1 15-ounce can black beans with juice
1 15-ounce can red beans with juice
2 splashes of Worcestershire
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced or 1 red onion, finely chopped
Shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack
1. Broil (500 degrees) the Anaheim and Poblano Chiles. When the skin blisters and are charred, remove from oven and peel, remove seeds and
chop. Set aside.
2. Saute the Chiles + Onion and Garlic and Bell Pepper. In a heavy pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Set aside cooked bacon and
separate the bacon grease. Using a little bit of the bacon grease, add chopped onion and garlic. Once onion is soft, add broiled
chiles and chopped bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables just start to become translucent. Set aside.
3. Brown the Meats: Using the same pan, add more bacon grease and add the cubed beef chuck and cook, stirring often, until lightly
browned on all sides. Add the ground beef, stirring to break up the ground beef, until the meat is no longer pink. Return the cooked
vegetables to the pot along with the reserved bacon.
4. Add Spices: chili powders, cayenne, coriander, cumin, granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, salt and black pepper. Mix all
the spices into the meats.
5. Add the Rest of the Ingredients: Melo used her Instapot to slow cook the rest. Add the meat and veggie mix into the pot. Add the
canned tomatoes and full tube of tomato paste. Add beer, beef stock, red kidney beans with their liquid and black beans with
their liquid. Slow cook for 4 hours. Taste the chili, if it feels like it needs more saltiness, add a splash or two of Worcestershire